Installing Skylights Can Brighten Your Home
October 21, 2009
Skylights can really brighten up dull areas of the home and they are not as difficult to install for yourself as you might think. However, it is a structural; change to your home so you do need to plan the project carefully so that the skylight is installed safely and... Read more
Skylights are commonly used in foyers and bathrooms of a home, but they can be installed in virtually any room with the proper ceiling structure. In most cases, you will want to hire a professional for installation. However, if you choose to install them yourself, there are some simple steps outlined below to help you through the process.
1. While the hole is being cut into your roof, be sure to have a tarp handy to ensure that any external moisture doesn't enter into your home during the process.
2. Next, mark where you want your skylight to be, ensuring that it will fit within your ceiling joints.
3. Remove current roofing tiles to find the position of your skylight.
4. Then, you can cut into the rafters and battens. As you cut into the roof, be mindful of any wiring present.
5. Put your chosen skylight in place and secure it in its framing, making sure it's level.
6. Install flashings to prevent any leaks.
7. Inside your home, put plaster board in the rebate between skylight and ceiling, measuring it and nailing it down. Joining cement should be used to seal the area.
A Skylights' Blinds Soften the Light
October 20, 2009
Skylights are beautiful additions to any home when the skylight is positioned. Natural sunlight is perfect for indoor plants. It...
Skylights are more than Windows
October 18, 2009
Many people say that they want a skylight for their home and they do not even know why. It usually has something to do with having a window...